Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In which we talk of texting

It's with quite a bit of trepidation that I step back into the world of blogging. Throughout high school I blogged extensively (and verbosely) on xanga, and made many friends through common thoughts and shared ideas. Since then, college, marriage, and kids have happened, and I'm a little more careful of what I put out on the web for others to read. It's so easy to misinterpret words that are merely read and not heard, expressions that are written and not embodied. I used to naively think that there was only one way what I wrote could be interpreted and understood, but no longer. For those who don't know me as well, what I write could probably be taken several ways. Up until recently, I haven't felt like I wanted to write enough to risk that, but today I decided to take the plunge. 

I'm home for the afternoon and it's lovely. Not really lovely weather, and I have a headache that makes it hard to focus on my computer screen, but lovely to not be at work. While I was nannying this morning, though, my husband (who was at home with our girls) sent me the following text concerning H, our two year old: 

H: "All done! I poop lot! Poop LOT."
A: *gets out phone to text me*
H: "Talk Mommy?"
A: "I'm sending Mommy a message."
H: "Mommy messy?"
A: "No, message. These words tell Mommy about your poop."
H: "Message Mommy: Poop."

And so he did. H is one of the most verbal two-year-old children I know (and she's only been two for a week). Every day this week she's picked up some new word (or ten) and while that's great and dandy and I love hearing her talk and learn and express herself ("Hot. I hot. I hungwy. I eat chex? Tchrawberries. Tchrawberries good. Yummy berries."), it also means that now Andrew and I have a much wider pool of words to guess from when she's trying to speak. ("Coffee? Is that what you're saying? No? Crab? The crab's all gone. Carry you? I can't carry you; I'm cooking dinner right now. Yes, dinner. Wait, caramel? No, no caramel for dinner.") And at the end we're still not sure if she's picked up the word "caramel," "coffee," "crab," or any of a myriad of other words. 

1 comment:

  1. My favorite of her latest acquisitions is her use of "fun" as an adjective and adverb: "Fun walk," "fun Noah," "fun pool."

    ReplyDelete